Frequently Asked Questions
What Forms should I use to form a Company?( + expand info )
- Is the company going to trade commercially with a view to making a profit?
- Use Companies Form 1A (CO1A) and Form IN01.
- Is the company not seeking to make a profit (e.g. a charity or an association)?
- Use Companies Form 3C (CO3C) and Form IN01.
- What is the difference between CO1A and CO3C?
- CO1A is the Memorandum and Articles of Association for a private company limited by shares. This should be used where the company is to trade commercially with a view to making a profit. CO3C is the Memorandum and Articles of Association for a company limited by guarantee. This should be used where the company is not seeking to make a profit (e.g. a charity or an association).
- What is form IN01?
- IN01 is the application to register a company and gives details of the company name, the address of the registered office, and particulars regarding directors, company secretary and share capital. IN01 needs to be sent to the Registrar of Companies, Companies House together with the relevant Memorandum and Articles of Association.
- How many copies of the Memorandum and Articles of Association do I need and where do I send them?
- CO1A or CO3C need to be sent to : (a) Companies House; (b) The Company Secretary, Solicitor and Accountant; (c) Each of the Directors of the Company; (d) One should be kept at the Registered Office of the Company.
Which Forms are used to change (a) a Company's name or (b) a Director or Secretary's Name?( + expand info )
- Which forms are used to change the Company's name?
- The Companies Act 2006 introduced new procedures for changing a company's name which depend on how the company changed its name after 1st October 2009. NE01 is submitted to Companies House when seeking exemption from the requirement to use limited or its Welsh equivalent. NM01 is filed at Companies House when a change of name is authorised by a resolution. NM02 is used to notify Companies House of a conditional resolution to change a company's name. NM03 is a notice which confirms that the company has satisfied the requirements for a conditional resolution to change its name. NM04 is a notice which informs Companies House that the company's own constitution (contained in the Articles of Association) allows the company to change its name. NM05 is used to notify Companies House of a change of name which the company directors have authorised.
- Which forms are used to change a Director or Secretary's Name?
- AP01, AP02, AP03 and AP04 can be used to notify Companies House of the appointment of different officers of the company. CH01, CH02, CH03 or CH04 are used to inform Companies House of a change in the details of the company's officers. TM01 notifies Companies House that a director's appointment has been terminated and TM02 is used to advise Companies House that a company secretary's appointment has ended.
Which Form is used to consolidate various shares into one certificate?( + expand info )